Wednesday 28 October 2009

gui boratto - take my breath away



I have to admit I always have my reservations about deep house or anything that is just as acceptable in a club as it is through headphones but Gui Boratto has shown me the error of my ways, this song is epic. Never quite climaxing; rolling, flowing, ebbing through your ears like a tide, leaving you wanting more. Perfect.

Gui Boratto has created perfect balance with Take My Breath Away. The deep fluid bassline is played off against a high pitched distorted electric buzz of the pseudo climax that never comes, just at the moment you think there is a peak you are dropped back down to start all over again. This is repeated through the song with minor changes each time, oddly it never gets old and you're almost reassured to find yourself back where the tune began. I think the track avoids feeling repetitive by avoiding many of the clichés that plague deep house and it's many sub genres, and injects something new with an electro/techno garnish.

The easy build up and drop down equates to this being reserved enough to listen at home and relax with while still serving as a stunning DJ tool to build the crowd up to a frenzy, a combination that is very rarely come across. Already have I heard this song being dropped into the middle of several sets from some of the worlds most well thought of techno DJ's, and I think this is a trend which is set to continue.

Boratto is part of a new wave of Brazilian DJ's and producers that are proving that there is more to the Brazilian dance scene than Latin House, Jazz and Giles Peterson. This cartel of music makers are rocking dancefloors worldwide so you would be wise to keep your eyes and ears peeled for anything forming south of the equator.

0 comments: