Monday 10 August 2009

something to rave about



Repetative electronica can be really hit and miss. I like far more of it than I should, there's a certain hypnotic charm to hitting on a bassline that hooks you in, satisfying the primeval infatuation with a monotonous but well timed drone.

Get Get Get by Grapes aka Flip Kowlier (a man who has already had his hand in indie and hip-hop and now wants to prove he can knock out something to rave to) is a stonking good piece of electro tedium. The chirpy but electronic beats of this tune with it's cartooney but lude video reminds me of Junior Senior- if Junior Senior weren't shit and they made lude electronic music videos. Which they don't so the link is tenuous. However, I can see this song being big and you have got to give props for the music video that is carefully crafted and aesthetically bold with a 50's style joyfully reminding me of Ren and Stimpy. The song as a whole is basic with a grimey electronic bassline that doesn't deviate throughout and a 4x4 beat which makes me think that Kowlier is playing it a little safe considering the recent popularity of 4x4 and speed garage. None the less the song is excellent and quickly draws you in, which is all you can really ask for I suppose.

Via DCR

0 comments: