Wednesday 10 February 2010

cricket? jumper?



Would you dare stand at the crease with a sturdy length of wood? Haha. Ok. I'll shut up.

But would you wear a cricket jumper with your everyday threads? I would, it's a great look if slightly oversized, however I was questioned about it today and I stammered to find an answer. The question that verbally shafted me was: "why do you like wearing a cricket jumper, is it ironic?" quick as a flash I responded with "errrrmmm... yeah... well... like, it's just a nice v-neck?.." articulate, no? And still I don't know; is it ironic? I think it's less ironic, more classic but is it only classic because it's ironic? And how many other pieces of clothes might I be being ironic about? When I think classic do I mean ironic? These are some of the questions I'm failing to answer. The only reason I can think of for wearing this cricket jumper is because I'm pretty sure I saw Kurt Cobain wearing one once, which re-assures me that it is cool and probably not ironic, or was Kurt being devilishly ironic when he may or may not have donned his cricket sweater?

This has sent me into a spiraling pit of self doubt about the hows? and whys? I dress myself, all I can say is that I'm all about cricket jumpers right now, ironic or not, and I think you should be too. Except not like the berk in the picture above, he looks like a proper nob.

If you do take the plunge then almost any one will do, don't bother with a fashion sweater just buy one from a sports supplier and remember to get it slightly too big- grunge. Bugger it, your Dad probably has one so just pike his, hopefully it'll be already worn in and if it's survived since his youth damn well made. Roll on spring.

0 comments: